Friday 21 April 2017

Shoot One Straight Images









I photographically documented the volunteer performing many of the main work tasks in caring for the dogs at the centre. These illustrate the breadth of tasks involved, and I can now analyse these to progress my images and make improvements. The tasks I captured on this first shoot were.



  •            opening/closing/bolting of exterior/kennel doors
  •  scrubbing of the kennel blocks floor
  •           topping up of water bowls
  •           preparation and distribution of the dogs meals
  •           closing of the dogs hatches
  •           interacting with some of the animals (cat/dogs/donkeys)



    In two of the images I have focused on the security systems in place at the centre. There are many bolted door and double entry doors which are to ensure the dogs do not come into close contact with each other as this could result in a fight, as well as to prevent dogs from escaping should an individual door be accidentally left open. I photographed the worker opening the security bolt on the door as well as them entering through the double entry doors. There are also security concerns with criminals stealing dogs from centres for use in sports, so security is very important.

    I also photographed a sign reminding workers to remove partially eaten dinners in order to not encourage flies.

    I photographed the workers performing the cleaning tasks including the scrubbing and disinfecting of the kennel blocks floor, which is one of the main routine tasks at the Centre.

    I took images of the preparation of the dogs’ meals in the kitchen area.


    I then showed the meals being distributed to the dogs in their individual kennels as well as the topping up of their water bowls and the closing of the dogs heavy hatch doors which lead to their runs.




    I also captured images of the worker interacting with some of the animals such as the worker holding two dogs here.  Taking photographs that could be shared on social media such as Facebook pages and web sites is an important part of advertising the availability of the dogs to aid in the chances of them being rehomed.


    I captured images of workers interacting with some of the animals at the centre, including giving an injured cat some much needed attention. 



    Interacting with an inquisitive donkey. 


    I also photographed myself as I talked gently to one of my favourite dogs Tarquin. I took this in close up to make it more expressive and intimate so it connects more with the viewer.



    I selected number of the images to adapt in Photo shop.




    In this image I wanted to make the worker really stand out more so that he focus was more on her. In Photoshop I starkly decreased the brightness of the image so that the background was less distracting. I like the way in the photo shopped image that the fluorescent strip lights have stayed prominent, so that they still point towards the worker leading the viewers eye to her and making her the focus of attention. I also like the way the top of the workers head and both her hands are highlighted as this focuses the attention on the task that she is doing in scrubbing the floor and the care and attention she is taking doing it. The walls, fire hydrant and the kennels are considerably darker so are less prominent and do not take away focus from the worker. It would have been better if the worker was wearing lighter clothing rather than black jeans and jacket, so that her form would have been highlighted a little more as I feel she is a little too shadowed and fades into the background a little too much.






    There are a number of signs up around the Centre reminding the staff and new volunteers to complete certain tasks. These are important as many of the task are routine and can be boring so staff get complacent and also it helps to remind any new volunteers of any specific tasks they are likely to forget. I wanted to adjust the image in Photo shop so that the message on the sign stands out more. This will highlight the importance of the message and focus attention on it. To achieve this I adjusted the curves in the image. This makes the words in the sign really stand out in bright yellow, against the dark blue background so focusing attention on their importance.





    In this image I wanted to make Tarquin more easily seen, particularly around his eyes which I felt were the focus of attention but could be clearer. This would allow the viewer to connect more with him as he makes eye to eye contact with them and allow them to form a relationship with him. I also wanted to make the image have a more warmer harmonious feel to it. So wanted the image to look less orangey coloured and more natural. In Photoshop I increased the brightness, decreased contrast, then adjusted levels very slightly to make it brighter. I then used selective colour to get rid of the orange tones. I think the photoshopped image is more naturally coloured so more pleasing to the viewers eye. I also think that Tarquin's beautiful dark eyes are more clear and expressive in the image against the rest of the background so that they stand out more and can connects more with the viewer.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment